Registered Student Counsellor, BCACC
deVries Counselling Group
Port Moody, BC
Education and Experience
Allie is a counsellor who is in the qualifying stages of a full Master’s Degree in Counselling Psychology. She has experience working with children, teens and their families.
Allie has an undergraduate degree in Biology and her focus in her graduate degree is counselling children and teens.
In addition, Allie has also completed the following trainings:
- Complex Trauma in Children certification
- Working with Children and Grief
- Gottman Level 1 Couples Counselling
Allie is passionate about providing a safe place for children and teens to express themselves, explore their inner world and embrace who they are as individuals.
She believes in supporting parents and families to better understand their children’s behaviors. A child or teen can thrive when their parent is attuned to their underlying feelings and needs.is dedicated to empowering parents and families, fostering a deeper understanding of their child’s behaviours. Allie also believes that a child or teen can flourish when their parent is genuinely attuned to their underlying emotions and needs.
Allie’s specialties include:
- Behavioral issues in children and teens, which presents as challenges at school or acting out behaviors at school and home.
- Neurodiversity in children and teens (ADHD, ASD or Giftedness)
- Child and youth trauma
- Extra sensitive children and adolescents (shyness, easily overwhelmed or sensory sensitivities)
- Anxiety and depression
Allie is a warm and welcoming counsellor. She has a calm and gentle personality and connects easily with her clients. Allie loves to laugh and uses humour in her work which quickly makes clients feel safe and at ease.
Allie is passionate about being being in the present moment with a child or teen. She is curious and interested about a child or teens feelings and needs in the conversation they are having. Her genuine interest and curiosity about a client’s feelings enables her to understand their emotions and needs as they engage in conversations. Allie is committed to helping children and teens feeling valued, acknowledged, important and that they matter.
Allie uses the following counselling methods:
- Child or teen-centered approach that incorporates art, sand, and play therapy to help clients explore, express and resolve feelings
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to help clients challenge negative thinking patterns and build coping skills.
- Family Systems Therapy to support parents and caregivers as well as the child or teen.
Allie has personal experiences with ADHD, depression, and anxiety in her family. She is very aware of how hard life can be when it feels like no one understands you. Allie has always wanted to make sure that children and teens never have to feel alone.
Allie loves to get out in nature and especially loves the ocean. One of her favorite ways to spend her time is walking along the seashore looking for shells.
Call 778-928-4743 to book an appointment with Allie.
Allie offers a sliding scale fee structure.