Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC) #14829
deVries Counselling Group
Port Moody, BC
Education and Experience
Mike has over 20 years of experience as a counsellor helping children, adolescents and adults overcome their problems.
Prior to entering private practice with deVries Counselling Group, Mike worked as a counsellor and behavioural consultant in the Coquitlam School District (SD#43), in the Anxiety Projects Laboratory at the University of British Columbia, and with a community counselling organization.
Mike also works with clients funded by the Crime Victims Assistance Program.
Mike’s educational background is as follows:
- Master of Education in Counselling Psychology
- Psychoeducational Testing from Monash University, Australia
- Narrative & Solution Focussed Counselling (addresses people’s strengths and helps them build more positive “stories”)
- Occupational Awareness Training: First Responders Level 1 and 11
- Advanced training in Critical Response to unexpected loss and trauma
Mike specializes in working with school aged children, teenagers and families in the following areas:
- Anxiety, depression, and grief
- Self-image, self-esteem, and social skills
- Special interest in couples therapy
Mike is a kind, thoughtful and genuine therapist. He is a people person who enjoys building strong relationships with his clients.
Mike enjoys empowering individuals and families to address and overcome the challenging situations that they face.
Mike moved away from his home country in the middle of his life. He has a great deal of compassion for his clients who’ve had to adjust to a new country and culture.
Mike comes from a family of gifted and anxious learners, and as a result, is well equipped to deal with these types of challenges.