Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC) #19036
deVries Counselling Group
Port Moody, BC
Education and Experience
Shirle is a Registered Clinical Counsellor with over 30 years of experience working with children, teens and their families.
Shirle has worked in School District #43 and #40 as a school-based counsellor with elementary, middle and high school students for most of her working life. Shirle also has experience as a School District Facilitator, working with staff to support students with behavioral and learning challenges.
She has an undergraduate degree in English and Physical Education and a Master’s degree in counselling from UBC.
In addition, Shirle has also completed the following trainings:
- Advanced Training in Art and Sandplay therapy
- CBT and DBT therapy Level 1 and 2 Certification (to transform negative thinking patterns and destructive behaviors into more positive outcomes)
- Advanced training working with children and teens who are anxious
Shirle led the LGTBQ+ club for middle and high school students for 10 years.
Shirle’s passions are supporting and teaching children and teens to become their best selves. She values working with parents and their children in order to bring out the best in that child or teen at home and in the community.
Shirle’s specialties include:
- Anxiety and depression with children and teens
- Behavior problems at school
- LGTBQ+ issues
- Grief and Loss
- Gifted and Neurodiverse learners
Shirle has a warmth and openness that immediately helps children and teens feel comfortable and safe. It is important to Shirle that her clients feel they are working in a partnership with her, taking time to figure out what isn’t working and looking for a path forward together.
Shirle is aware that each child and teen has different needs and that counselling is not a “one size fits all” experience. She takes time to get to know the clients she works with and together they choose a counselling practice that best fits that child or teen.
Shirle uses the following counselling methods:
- Client-centered approach which concentrates on building a relationship with the child or teen through sharing life stories or engaging in an activity together
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Dialectic Behavior Therapy (DBT) to help clients challenge negative thinking patterns and behaviors
- Expressive therapies such as play, sand and art therapy to help clients explore, express and resolve feelings
Shirle collaborates with school staff and community professionals to best meet the child or teen’s needs.
Shirle has faced life challenges which have taught her problem-solving skills as well as increased her feelings of resourcefulness during the ups and downs of life. She personally knows the value of being heard and supported in a relationship that you trust and makes you feel safe.
In her spare time, Shirle loves to cycle and be out in nature. She is a dog-lover (especially Golden Retrievers) and fosters dogs that are being rehomed. Shirle has been a single parent for many years, her son is now an adult and they enjoy weekly dinners together.
Call 778-839-2637 to book an appointment with Shirle.